Team Leader, Distribution
Location: St. Joseph, MO
Shift: Days – 12 hour shifts
Ventura Foods is a leading global manufacturer of branded and custom food products that proudly helps food providers in the U.S., Canada and more than 60 other countries earn a special place on consumers’ tables. We do this by continually crafting custom dressings, sauces, mayonnaises, and other food solutions that exceed peoples’ expectations for great-tasting flavors and high-quality ingredients.
Headquartered in Brea, California, Ventura Foods operates 14 manufacturing facilities, 3 culinary centers, and numerous distribution centers across North America. When you work in our manufacturing and distribution facilities, you get a strong foundation of training, a manager who cares about you and celebrates your success, a safe environment, and challenging work. As part of our team, your future is limited only by how much you’re willing to push yourself to get there. We invest in your growth, because you invest in ours.
Position is responsible to oversee routine direction of hourly employees. Move finished good products within our facility in preparation for shipment by driving an electric powered industrial truck equipped with devices such as forks or clamps. Push, pull, lift and/or stack products or materials as required to prepare for shipment. Use RF scanner to pick product for shipment, ensuring rotation of inventory on hand and load product onto trucks for shipment.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership and routine direction to all department employees. Delegate daily duties to warehouse personnel. Coordinate the activities of the forklift and spot truck drivers to ensure the efficient, accurate and timely handling of customer orders, stock transfers and inbound shipments Review orders for accuracy and work with personnel to correct errors
- Be an active participant in the day-to-day activities required to meet the shipping goals set for each day by staging or loading and unloading trucks. Use all radio frequency data collection systems
- Schedule and coordinate on-the-job training for new employees and existing employees by providing orientation and information in correct procedures and techniques
- Complete all required paperwork, accurately and timely
- Provide coverage in the shipping office as a back up to the Shipping Clerk as needed. Will effectively cover for Warehouse Manager in their absence
- Assist Distribution Supervisor in the evaluation of warehouse duties in areas of shipping, receiving, order selecting and clerical personnel. Make recommendations to reduce non-productive effort in order to increase productivity. Perform and document warehouse inspections to address safety and quality issues. Review daily shift forklift inspections and address deficiencies
- Communicate efficiently with other personnel and departments. Provide coordination between the shipping clerks, security, spot truck drivers and forklift drivers as needed
- Responsible for following all food safety policies, procedures and regulatory criteria including the current SQF code, Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), and the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) and associated preventive controls
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma/GED or equivalent experience
- 3-5 years of experience in a warehouse distribution environment
- Warehouse supervisory experience preferred
Knowledge and Skills:
- Must be able to pass skills test for license/certification as well as written test for sit down and stand up forklift, pallet machine, pallet jack and order selector
- Computer literate with experience with AS400 and possess working knowledge of RF scanning system
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as math skills
- Hands on working knowledge of distribution, warehouse and transportation disciplines
- Effective planning and organizational skills, fosters cooperation with and understanding of employees
- Knowledge and application of GMP and safety standards
Regularly requires intermittent sitting, standing, walking, climbing, squatting, kneeling, pushing, and pulling. Physical strength and dexterity sufficient to perform the required task(s). Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds or more with assistance. Additional demands may be required.
In addition to normal business hours, work schedules may include after hours and weekends as needed. May work outside and in adverse temperatures which include extreme hot, cold, and humidity. May be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and vibration. Must be willing and able to wear personal protective equipment as required by established Company Safety standards. May require work in confined and dark spaces, and at heights in excess of 18 feet for prolonged periods of time.
Diversity & Inclusion:
Our commitment to a diverse and inclusive environment in which all employees are treated with respect is evident in our company culture and values. We believe that fostering an environment of inclusion and a focus on diversity across our organization is vital to attracting top talent, driving innovation, and meeting the high expectations of our customers in a rapidly evolving global marketplace.
Ventura Foods is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.