Lead Maintenance Technician
Location: St. Joseph, MO
Shift: Days – 12 hour shifts
Ventura Foods is a leading global manufacturer of branded and custom food products that proudly helps food providers in the U.S., Canada and more than 60 other countries earn a special place on consumers’ tables. We do this by continually crafting custom dressings, sauces, mayonnaises, and other food solutions that exceed peoples’ expectations for great-tasting flavors and high-quality ingredients.
Headquartered in Brea, California, Ventura Foods operates 14 manufacturing facilities, 3 culinary centers, and numerous distribution centers across North America. When you work in our manufacturing and distribution facilities, you get a strong foundation of training, a manager who cares about you and celebrates your success, a safe environment, and challenging work. As part of our team, your future is limited only by how much you’re willing to push yourself to get there. We invest in your growth, because you invest in ours.
Utilize specialized skill sets to support the maintenance and optimal operating condition of a variety of equipment using company approved food safety practices and policies. Train other maintenance mechanics to increase skill level in the department when applicable. Decrease equipment downtime utilizing training and skills.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Using specialized skill sets, performs corrective maintenance and emergency maintenance on food packaging/processing equipment and facility equipment to maximize equipment up-time
- Completion of assigned scheduled preventative maintenance and work orders assigned to increase asset life. Prepare daily, weekly and monthly reports documenting the activities and work performed by the maintenance department. Includes all equipment repairs from breakdowns, work orders or scheduled preventative maintenance. Assist in maintaining the maintenance office and departmental records
- Troubleshoot and resolve advanced equipment mechanical/electrical issues within specialized skill sets
- Repair and/or rebuild pumps, mills, gearboxes and other miscellaneous mechanical entities
- Assist/direct other maintenance mechanics in troubleshooting advanced equipment problems using specialized skill sets
- Train other maintenance mechanics with up to date information to increase skill level within department. Effectively document who, what, why and when the training takes place
- Responsible for all Clean In Place (CIP) processes and ensure that all documentation is accurate and complete
- Responsible for following all food safety policies, procedures and regulatory criteria including the current SQF code, Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), and the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) and associated preventive controls
- Other duties as assigned
- Travel may be required
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma/GED or equivalent experience
- 5-10 years of experience in advanced mechanical troubleshooting and repair skills and/or specialized training
- Experience in a food manufacturing environment preferred
Knowledge and Skills:
- Craftsman knowledgeable use of hand/power tools, various shop equipment and able to use general measuring tools such as multi-meters, tape measures, calipers and dial indicators
- Should be proficient in computer use and Microsoft applications such as Word and Excel
- Possess outstanding leadership, organizational, communication and people skills and be able to work under minimal supervision
- Able to understand and assist in troubleshooting of complex packaging and processing machinery and facility equipment using specialized skill sets within trained expertise
- Able to understand and follow verbal instructions, work with CAD drawings and/or schematics or basic hand drawn diagrams
- An understanding and history of following GMP and other related food manufacturing policies
Regularly requires intermittent sitting, standing, walking, climbing, squatting, kneeling, pushing, and pulling. Physical strength and dexterity sufficient to perform the required task(s). Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds or more with assistance. Additional demands may be required.
In addition to normal business hours, work schedules may include after hours and weekends as needed. May work outside and in adverse temperatures which include extreme hot, cold, and humidity. May be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and vibration. Must be willing and able to wear personal protective equipment as required by established Company Safety standards. May require work in confined and dark spaces, and at heights in excess of 18 feet for prolonged periods of time.
Diversity & Inclusion:
Our commitment to a diverse and inclusive environment in which all employees are treated with respect is evident in our company culture and values. We believe that fostering an environment of inclusion and a focus on diversity across our organization is vital to attracting top talent, driving innovation, and meeting the high expectations of our customers in a rapidly evolving global marketplace.
Ventura Foods is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.